1) I am a chronic snacker. I feel like I purposely eat smaller meals so I won’t feel as guilty that I snack as much as I do. One of my favorite go-to nighttime snacks is microwave “baked” apples. I love me some baked apples all warm and cinnamony-y, but who wants to go to all that effort for a nighttime snack? I make them in the microwave. Slice up an apple (I find granny smiths work best), drizzle with a bit of honey, add a sprinkle of cinnamon. Microwave for 45 second to a minute until the apples are tender. Enjoy. If you are really feeling sassy, top with some whipped cream.
2) As a transplanted Southern, I love me some grits. Specifically cheese grits. I have never been able to replicate the richness of cheese grits I get at restaurants — until just this week.
The grits in this shrimp and grits were fantastic. Best part? I used this recipe from Cooking Light, so now I can make them all the time and not feel super guilty about it.
3) For as much as I like cooking, there are just some weeks when I don’t feel all that enthused about making dinner. That’s how I was this week. I blame daylight saving time. It’s dark at like 5:30 pm. It makes me want to sit on the couch. But luckily, I always have some sort of lazy dinner idea in my back pocket. One night we had these kale and white bean ravioli. Last night we had pumpkin pancakes for dinner. I don’t hate it.
4) I went to the allergist this week to get tested. While I found out I am allergic to cats (which is problematic seeing as we have one) I was SO thankful that I am not allergic to any food. I always feel for people who can’t have shellfish or nuts. Yes, food is so important to me that being allergic to something would be tragic.
5) Eric and I are heading to Miami this weekend for a little mini-break. Needless to say, I’ve very excited to lay out on South Beach.
Of course I am also excited about eating. We made reservations for dinner at Local House for Sunday. And we’re definitely going to get some Cuban food and stone crab (hopefully from Joe’s). If you want to keep up on everything we are eating, be sure to follow me on Instagram.
Happy weekend everyone!